There has to be a reason that a company is in so much flux ...

... and to a newcomer being treated like a liability instead of an asset, I guess it couldn't be more clear.

I understand that I may be jumping to conclusions too quickly. I understand that God is trying to teach me some life lessons. Like having patience. Like always keeping an eye on what my real purpose in life is. Like knowing that I work for myself before I work for anyone else. Like remembering that there are lots of sources of joy and they are all within me. Like reminding myself that this is but a phase and everyone has such phases - it's about waiting the rough weather out. Like telling myself that nothing comes easy - and if it did, I wouldn't have a story to tell later on. Like knowing that God will usually not give it to me on a platter, he'll make be realize how thankful I should be for every small thing that I get. And thank God for that. :D

Hmmm. So I am learning all the above - some in small measure, some in large. I'm learning to let go. To let things take their own course, even as I do my bit and wait. Learning patience - to wait patiently. The tide will turn someday soon and this time, I'll enjoy myself till then.

This time. Because this time is different from the last time I changed jobs. That was 5 years ago. That was when I had only 3 years of work experience. That was when I was still highly inexperienced and had no clue what was hitting me and how I should react or proact.

So, the last time I changed jobs I was in for a rude shock - the two organizations were far apart on almost everything and within that I had joined a new business team of a business that increasingly looked like it had no future. I was distressed. I hardly had work to fill my day and I was working with a bunch of inefficient people, with a stone-age working style, who tested my patience. Limited patience and a penchant for calling a spade a spade is a deadly combo - and I'm sure someone would have caught me rolling my eyes in public. :P I was distraught. Where was my career heading, this was the time and age for me to gather crucial experience and here I was stuck with these fools and without much to do! I could have sat back for a while and said Wow, here is some time for me to explore some of the things that I want to do but never have time for and done all of that with all the internet-surfing time, free lunch and post-lunch walk, that I was being paid for.

That's when I realized that we always want what we don't have. Too much work? We want free time to surf the net, write blogs, research travel options. Too much internet time? We want to work, like if we didn't work then we would become redundant.

This time I'm hoping I'll have the sense to do it differently. Not enough work? Sit back, relax and enjoy. Too much work? Focus, get it done and get back home to the baby. I'm hoping. And praying. That this time, I'll have the sense. Insha allah. :)

Comments

Popular Posts