It's a whole, new world out there!
And is it exciting!! This entrepreneurship journey is like a crash course in life, apart from being a crash course in setting up a business.
There's just so much I'm discovering about myself in the course of starting out. It's a new feeling everyday. And then there's all the stuff to discover about the world of startups - which I hardly knew anything about, which is such a different world from the corporate world. The joy of discovering the workings of this world and the new realizations about myself are all adding to me as a person as much as they are to me as a founder. Trying to capture some of the transition joys and realizations before they become ingrained, so that I can always come back to this post and relive what I'm experiencing today.
1. It is liberating. LIBERATING. All in caps.
To not be shackled by a corporate, a boss, a set way of doing things, being answerable to others, doing stuff that you don't believe in or see as unnecessary. This new sense of being answerable primarily to myself, of not having to do things just for the sake of doing them, of not having to worry about how I'm being perceived etc. is like breathing in fresh mountain air.
2. Work doesn't feel like "work".
The way I've known it all this while. I guess it wouldn't be wrong to say that "work" has always been "work" and "life" has been different from that "work" for me all these years. "Work" was about dedication, closing things, doing my best, thinking differently, managing expectations. "Life" was about relaxing, chilling, having fun, traveling, meeting friends et al. But something seems to have has changed. "Work" suddenly seems to closer to "life" now. It's actually as much fun as life is, its something I look forward to with as much anticipation - solving challenges, finding solutions, discovering new possibilities, forming fresh relationships. I find myself working hard on stuff that I would have scoffed at or considered too basic for my level, and happily so. Work sure doesn't feel like the work I knew.
3. Flexibility of another type.
It offers a variety of flexibility that is difficult to even imagine while working for someone else. I decide when my day begins, when it ends and what I do in between. Maid not in? No issues - just set up shop at home. Need to travel? No issues - work from the travel location. The stress of having to work life around the office has diminished as work fits right into life in this world.
4. No defined work hours or work days or holidays.
I'm the sorts who believes, advocates and occasionally fights for what I define as work-life balance. That definition, I realize, has changed. Already. I don't believe that holidays are holidays anymore - there is a desire to work even on holidays, past work hours, late into nights or on groggy mornings. Marry this with point 2 & 3 and it begins to come together.
5. Extreme focus and concentration.
It requires focus and concentration beyond what I've pushed myself for in the last few years. In my earlier roles, there would be times when I would switch to doing a different task if I didn't feel like completing the one I was working on, there would be distractions in the form of meetings, training and other compulsory attendance occasions. No more. If there is a task at hand, irrespective of the effort, complexity, time - it has to be completed. No running away from it, even for a short while. Add to that the fact that I get to decide what I want to work on and not having to answer to anyone - and it calls for extreme focus and dedication to get the tasks completed. This one I'm still learning.

6. Self-doubt can come in any form, from anywhere, on any day. I have to learn to handle it.
I've been the doubting types. The sorts who will start out with great ideas, high hopes, lots of enthusiasm ... and then suddenly begin doubting if things are going anywhere. I know all the theory about hanging in there, "parishram ka phal", "Karmaneyevadhikaraste" but sometimes putting it into practice seems too tough. There are times when I start doubting the idea, the execution and wonder where its all headed. But I"m learning to handle the mind and its oscillations. Learning to let the doubts fuel a greater desire to find answers and solutions. It's WIP and I'm hoping to learn fast on this one.
7. Self confidence is critical!!
On days when I'm plagued by self-doubt, I can see my self-confidence ebbing and I know that if there is one thing that I cannot allow is that. For one, the success of the startup depends on how confident I am about it. To anyone being introduced to Wish Radio, I am Wish Radio. So there is no way I can sound unsure, even if I feel that way. Opportunity can come knocking at any point - and I must be prepared to face it at my best. And irrespective of which way anything goes, I must remember that I'll be so much richer for what I've learnt at the end of it. This is a critical one and I know I've got to crack it.
More such realizations are dawning on me as I walk along this path of entrepreneurship. I can see what its adding to me and I can only thank God for this opportunity. It's a steep learning curve on life and I'm hoping to ride this wave with calm confidence. Insha allah.
There's just so much I'm discovering about myself in the course of starting out. It's a new feeling everyday. And then there's all the stuff to discover about the world of startups - which I hardly knew anything about, which is such a different world from the corporate world. The joy of discovering the workings of this world and the new realizations about myself are all adding to me as a person as much as they are to me as a founder. Trying to capture some of the transition joys and realizations before they become ingrained, so that I can always come back to this post and relive what I'm experiencing today.
1. It is liberating. LIBERATING. All in caps.
2. Work doesn't feel like "work".
The way I've known it all this while. I guess it wouldn't be wrong to say that "work" has always been "work" and "life" has been different from that "work" for me all these years. "Work" was about dedication, closing things, doing my best, thinking differently, managing expectations. "Life" was about relaxing, chilling, having fun, traveling, meeting friends et al. But something seems to have has changed. "Work" suddenly seems to closer to "life" now. It's actually as much fun as life is, its something I look forward to with as much anticipation - solving challenges, finding solutions, discovering new possibilities, forming fresh relationships. I find myself working hard on stuff that I would have scoffed at or considered too basic for my level, and happily so. Work sure doesn't feel like the work I knew.
3. Flexibility of another type.
It offers a variety of flexibility that is difficult to even imagine while working for someone else. I decide when my day begins, when it ends and what I do in between. Maid not in? No issues - just set up shop at home. Need to travel? No issues - work from the travel location. The stress of having to work life around the office has diminished as work fits right into life in this world.
4. No defined work hours or work days or holidays.
I'm the sorts who believes, advocates and occasionally fights for what I define as work-life balance. That definition, I realize, has changed. Already. I don't believe that holidays are holidays anymore - there is a desire to work even on holidays, past work hours, late into nights or on groggy mornings. Marry this with point 2 & 3 and it begins to come together.
5. Extreme focus and concentration.
It requires focus and concentration beyond what I've pushed myself for in the last few years. In my earlier roles, there would be times when I would switch to doing a different task if I didn't feel like completing the one I was working on, there would be distractions in the form of meetings, training and other compulsory attendance occasions. No more. If there is a task at hand, irrespective of the effort, complexity, time - it has to be completed. No running away from it, even for a short while. Add to that the fact that I get to decide what I want to work on and not having to answer to anyone - and it calls for extreme focus and dedication to get the tasks completed. This one I'm still learning.

6. Self-doubt can come in any form, from anywhere, on any day. I have to learn to handle it.
I've been the doubting types. The sorts who will start out with great ideas, high hopes, lots of enthusiasm ... and then suddenly begin doubting if things are going anywhere. I know all the theory about hanging in there, "parishram ka phal", "Karmaneyevadhikaraste" but sometimes putting it into practice seems too tough. There are times when I start doubting the idea, the execution and wonder where its all headed. But I"m learning to handle the mind and its oscillations. Learning to let the doubts fuel a greater desire to find answers and solutions. It's WIP and I'm hoping to learn fast on this one.
7. Self confidence is critical!!
On days when I'm plagued by self-doubt, I can see my self-confidence ebbing and I know that if there is one thing that I cannot allow is that. For one, the success of the startup depends on how confident I am about it. To anyone being introduced to Wish Radio, I am Wish Radio. So there is no way I can sound unsure, even if I feel that way. Opportunity can come knocking at any point - and I must be prepared to face it at my best. And irrespective of which way anything goes, I must remember that I'll be so much richer for what I've learnt at the end of it. This is a critical one and I know I've got to crack it.
More such realizations are dawning on me as I walk along this path of entrepreneurship. I can see what its adding to me and I can only thank God for this opportunity. It's a steep learning curve on life and I'm hoping to ride this wave with calm confidence. Insha allah.


Comments
Post a Comment