Undivided Attention
Perhaps among the rarest of commodities in society today,
undivided attention could perhaps solve so many relationship issues, on its
own, given a little time and patience. I hold the smartphone responsible in
large measure for the paucity of this beautiful ingredient. Here’s something I
wrote on it a while back. This had more to do with how it is killing our creativity
and dreaming time, both of which are likely not to have a direct physical
impact on our lives unless we choose to connect the dots. However, smartphones
leading to lack of undivided attention in relationships has a very direct,
physical and emotional effect.
I’ll limit it to our experiences with Aahaan and other
children I’ve had the opportunity to observe. I’ve seen that there isn’t a lot
of time he needs, given how he engrossed he is when he is doing his own stuff.
In fact at those times, it’s a bad idea to get into his play and ask questions
or ask to be included. That’s time he is spending with himself and it’s helping
him grow, helping him expand his creativity. But then there are other times,
and they come without announcing, when he’s asking questions or wanting time
from either A or me. Those are times when I’ve learnt that we must drop
everything we’re doing and engage with him. It happens during dinner time often
when he has some burning questions that need answers asap, or for short durations
at other times when he’s seeking some inputs. Give him a spaced, inattentive
reply and I can sense that he’s beginning to get bugged.
Going back a couple of years, I’ve observed it in a
different way. A child who has been not had a parent’s attention or time all
day wants 100% attention from the mother or the father who comes in at 7 or 8
PM. Understandably the parent is tired or wants time on her own. But that’s
really a non-option. This child would throw loud, difficult to handle tantrums
almost every day because the mother would let the phone be part of the
conversation that she was having with the child. It clearly didn’t work because
the child got the sense that she was not the center of attention.
It’s a small ask, in my opinion. Aahaan doesn’t need all my
time when I’m around but he needs 100% of my time when he asks for it. There’s
a marked change in behavior when he knows that he’s getting undivided
attention. When I’m looking him in the eyes and responding to what he is
saying. When I’m not half-attentively saying something while I’m actually doing
or thinking of something else.
Even if I’m unable to spend time immediately, it helps to
tell him considerately that I’ll finish what I’m doing and get right back to
him in X mins. On most occasions this works and on those when it doesn’t, I’ve
learnt that it’s best to go along with the flow and spend that time with him
first, but explain to him later when he’s calmer (perhaps at bed time) that I
needed to finish a task and it would be good if he could wait at such times.
There’s a higher chance of him getting it then.
On the flip side, when he doesn’t get undivided attention,
and there have been some phases when A has been so preoccupied with work that
he’s not present in mind and spirit even though he is at home, it comes out in
all sorts of unpleasant ways. From purposely contradicting instructions to bug
A (he’s old enough to be doing it by design now!) to using his hands to express
anger there’s all sorts of unpleasant behavior that comes our way. And
strangely, it’s not like making up for it later is a solve. So A takes him out
cycling or for a drive at a later time but that’s clearly not enough.
Undivided attention is a gift both for him and for me. It’s about being present in the current moment, something that comes so naturally to kids. By being present with him, I also learn to focus on where I am at the moment. And when I’m able to get it right, it makes my relationship with him so much more meaningful and fun.

Comments
Post a Comment