Being (a working) mom to a 1 1/2 year old means ... (Part I)

... there is no time to sit and watch the world go by. Those days are gone, and I'm not sure when they will come back. Till then, I'm content to sit and watch tiny hands poke things, tiny feet patter around, tiny fingers grab stuff, a tiny mouth stuff itself, bright eyes look with amazement, tiny lips form the cutest of words...oh, I could go on and on. So much for not having the time to sit and watch the world go by. 

... I wear the same 4-5 combos of clothes on most days. The ones that need little use of creativity and looking for. Because there is just so much to do that I spare myself the time and effort that would go into thinking of what I may want to wear, staring at the cupboard for minutes before it dawns that I could create an interesting look out of two hitherto uncombined pieces, and then rummaging around to find them. Just not worth it. Pull out the same 2 things and put them on. 


... Planning a parlour session can take weeks ... so unless it is absolutely unavoidable, I find myself putting off a visit till the time I just must make it. 


... I wish the time taken to get home evaporates. From wherever I'm getting home. I realize how little patience I have now for waiting in traffic jams. I'd just rather be home to hear my little chap tell me his stories. 


... I automatically recover at some supersonic speed if he is not well. So, I head home at lunch one day to spend the rest of the day at home since I wasn't feeling well, only to come home and see a little fellow running temperature. And poof! I'm suddenly ok. Magic, I say. And thank God for it. Given a I'm-feeling-so-sorry-for-myself-all-I-can-do-is-lie-in-your-lap-and-stare-into-the-distance Aahaan. :P


... I'm absent-minded. Like how. Like how again. I forgot my mobile number. For long enough to tell a couple of people my earlier number. For long enough to dial the wrong number from the landline to try and locate the handset and then wonder why the call was not going through. 


... I'm often wishing that I didn't have to go to work. And then correcting myself that I want to go to work. And that staying at home is a non-option given my temperament and all that I want to do. And feeling caught. In a stiff tug of war between wanting to stay home and watch the boy, and knowing that I would be distraught if I wasn't having to step out to work. But that doesn't stop me from wishing there was a middle path. Between going to work and staying home. The flexi working part maybe? Or the part time working option? And then I think of HUL and it's job-share. (For those whom I have not told about this - it is an option where you can decide how many hours on how many days you want to work. They pay you accordingly. And it's flexible - so you can go slowly increase from 50% time to 75% to whatever works for you.) And think of how amazing it would be to be there. But Mumbai so doesn't work at this time. With all its traffic woes and its small homes. Bangalore seems like a breath of fresh air when I think of Mumbai. 


... I can't thank God enough for the current working arrangement. With a 10 min walk to office and an option to come back home to see him for lunch, it just couldn't get better. For all my cribbing about having to go to work, I know so well that I've really got it all when it comes to this arrangement. Add to that, that A can also walk with me to work and come back for lunch and there really shouldn't be anything to speak about. But that's life. There's always something to speak about. :P 

Comments

Popular Posts