Us aaj nachhna!

It rains after a couple of weeks, which is a long no-rain period in otherwise equatorial Bangalore. There is that lovely sight of rain drops falling into dry ground and micro-splattering the little grains of sand all around. And then there is that heavenly smell of rain watering the parched throat of the ground like it would for someone who had lost his way in the desert. And the oh-so-happy freshness in the air. And all of it reminds me of Kolkata. Not the Kolkata of yesterday where I did my sales stint and then my ASM stint. But the Calcutta that I visited every summer holiday for 15 years while I was in school. Where the monsoon would arrive in June and there would dark, rain-laden-cloud-filled skies, some thunder and lots and lots of rain. Where streets would get waterlogged every second day.
I’ve always noticed how a particular smell transports me back to a certain time in a certain city, instantly. Even the smell of winter in Delhi. There’s that slight chill in the air, maybe a particular smell from a specific tree that flowers at that time of the year. But there are days when I get that feeling of winter in Delhi, right here in tropical Bangalore.
Ditto music. Or more specifically songs. For example, this particular Rabbi Shergil number. (Couldn’t link to the song only so looked around for the video. Found this super interesting video. Takes the meaning of the lines and converts it into pictures . Loved it! :P)
Assa aaj Nachna!

So I plug in the ipod in shuffle mode and suddenly this is what emerges from the speakers. And instantly I’m in IIMB. The song is blaring from someone’s room in the early evening… when most people who didn’t have classes, have just awakened from their siesta and are making their way to the mess to grab a bite. And then just hanging around chatting with friends. This was one time when no work got done. At least for me. It was just not the time to work/study. It was time for timepass either on my own or with friends.

Another song which does this to me is this one.
Aao Na–Kyun Ho Gaya Na

Comments

Popular Posts